Black pepper steak
- 1 lb flank steak, 1/4in slices
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp cooking wine
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp cooking wine
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- cornstarch slurry
- Marinate beef in baking soda and a few tbsp of water overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Mix in white pepper, soy sauce, cornstarch, cooking wine, and oil; allow to marinate 30 minutes.
- In a pot, mix the sauce ingredients over medium heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch slurry to sauce until it thickens to a gravy-like consistency.
- In a hot skillet, briefly fry the onions until they are par-cooked and beginning to wilt. Remove from pan.
- When the pan is oiled and smoking hot, fry the beef on one side for approximately 1 minute without moving.
- Turn the beef over and cook an additional minute.
- Drain any liquid from the par-cooked onions and then add them back to the pan, along with the sauce. Stir to coat, then plate and serve immediately.