Easy beef pho
- 1 lb fresh pho (rice stick) noodles
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 oz bean sprouts
- 1 pepper (jalapeno, serrano, etc), finely sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 8 oz finely sliced beef flank, top loin steak, or combination
- 1 oz fresh basil, optional
- hoisin sauce
- sriracha sauce
- 2 quarts beef broth from base
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, rough chopped
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 star anise seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- Bring beef broth, onion, garlic, and ginger to a boil.
- Add star anise, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, fish sauce, and salt. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, then strain and remove all the solids.
- In a separate pot, bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Dip the noodles for 5-10 seconds into the water, then remove into large soup bowls.
- Top noodles with the cilantro, green onions, bean sprouts, and meat.
- Ensure the broth is at a rolling boil, then ladle into the bowl until all ingredients are fully submerged and the beef starts to cook.
- Serve immediately with remaining garnishes on the side.