Eggplant & chicken
- 3 chinese or japanese eggplants, partially peeled, cut into rectangles
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp oil for frying eggplant
- Small bit of salty fish (optional)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/8 cup sherry
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sherry or cooking wine
- 2 tsp ginger, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- Combine chicken and marinade. Mix well and refrigerate at least 24 hours. Drain.
- Oil the pan and par cook the eggplants on high heat until they have reduced in volume by about 1/3 and start to wilt. Remove from pan.
- Grill the chicken for 1-2 minutes each side with the ginger.
- Add onion, garlic, and sauce ingredients and cook over medium-high heat until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the eggplants and cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until tender. Once the slurry is added in the next step, the eggplants won’t soften much further, so its important to cook them through at this point.
- Create a cornstarch slurry and add to the sauce until desired thickness. Add scallions and serve.